St. Joseph the Worker Parish 2013-2014 Pastoral Plan
Our Parish Mission
We are a pilgrim people of diverse backgrounds united by God through the Gospels, the teachings of the Church and the pursuit of common goals. We strive to deepen our personal union with Jesus Christ and to grow as a faith community. We seek to enrich our heritage of care and concern for all, especially for those in need, by being instruments of God’s love and healing to the world around us. Guided by the Holy Spirit, we pledge to pursue this mission by participation in the liturgical, educational and social ministries of the Church. We recognize that to be effective, these ministries require spiritual, physical and financial resources, and we accept our responsibility as Christians to provide them.
2013-2014 Planning Goals
Knowing that all we are flows from our liturgical and sacramental life and our rich
Catholic tradition, we will endeavour to achieve the following goals, objectives and strategies over the next year
All goals for the following priorities have or will be created in union with the Diocese of Victoria (Diocesan Pastoral Plan 2010-2015) and in consultation with our parishioners, opportunities and programs.
I. FAITH FORMATION AND VOCATION
Objective: We will invite, engage and empower participation of the people of God to live out our baptismal vocation by collaborating with new and existing ministries.
We will achieve this objective by providing faith formation and opportunities to serve such as:
Children and Youth
- Liturgy of the Word for children (Grades 1– 3)
- Parish Summer Camps (Grades 1 -6)
- Catechism (Grades 1 – 7)
- Sacramental Preparation and Confirmation (Grade 2)
- Monthly Mass for St. Joseph School (Grades K – 7)
- Ministry of Service (Comprehensive Youth Ministry Model)
- Edge (Grades 6 – 7)
- iGNight (Grades 8 – 12)
- Great Adventure Bible Series
- Adult Faith Formation Programs. We are fortunate to have so many sessions to offer.
- Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA)
- Come Back Home – This program helps those on their journey back to the Catholic Church.
- New Start, New Hope, New Life – Offered to those who are separated and/or divorced.
- Healing in the Church – Lenten Mission sessions.
- Lectio Divina – The ancient art of contemplative praying the Scriptures enabling the Bible, the Word of God to become a means of union with God.
- Benediction and Adoration
- Ministry Fair (Fall 2014)
II. PARISH OUTREACH, SOCIAL AND ECOLOGICAL JUSTICE AND ECUMENISM
Objective: St Joseph the Worker Parish embraces all people.
Educate our SJTW parish family about ministries by 2015 by providing the following:
- Produce and provide a parish and ministry information brochure.
- Newsletter: promote ministry events, news and support requirements.
- Greeters: provide training and offer opportunities to assist.
- Bulletin: include regular information of ministry requirements and volunteer needs.
- Ministries: host regular coffee after the 10 am Mass.
Objective: Deepen our Parish commitment to pastoral outreach as an expression of our Christian Faith.
- Tap into existing ministries’ work: Social and Ecological Justice such as the Development and Peace campaign, Diocesan Appeal, World Food Day, support Thembalethu orphanage and other outreach fundraising initiatives, etc.
- Plan for implementation of the Diocese of Victoria Pastoral Outreach Training Program, and possibly in conjunction with other greater Victoria parishes.
- Review and evaluate our Parish outreach initiatives and efforts in relationship to the needs of our parish and the wider community
- Recruit and train teams.
Objective: Based on the Gospel, strategize, advocate and promote ecological justice within the parish especially with youth engagement including connections with the greater world community and environment.
Assist in the promotion of parish-related educational workshops, retreats and programs with other communities.
Implement the “Greening our Parish Plan”
Strategy to establish a Third World Sister Parish to be consistent with Pope Francis' stated wishes.
Objective: Increase Ecumenism by inviting and collaborating other Christian faith communities at home and abroad.
- Identify opportunities for Ecumenism.
- Continue to celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.
III. YOUTH & YOUNG ADULTS
Objective: Identify opportunities for youth to participate in all ministries.
- Determine present involvement and future needs in liaison with Diocesan Youth
- Support the Diocesan Campus Ministry at St. Andrew’s High School and Ministry at St. Joseph the Worker Parish including Edge (grade 6 and 7) and outreach ministry to other parishes with iGNight.
- Distribute schedule of youth events on a monthly basis.
Objective: Plan for and engage young adults in church programs and events.
- Mix and Mingle
- ‘Theology on Tap’